A large number of Harvey area residents have served, and continue to serve with the Canadian Armed Forces. Those listed below gave their lives in the service of their country.
World War I
World War II
Image of Harvey cenotaph taken prior to the September 2006 addition of LT (NS) Margaret A. Briggs, RCMAC. Source: Brenda MacMinn, 2006.
Close-up Image of Harvey Cenotaph taken in September 2006 after addition LT. (NS) Margaret A. Briggs, RCAMC. Source: Brenda MacMinn, 2006.
In memory of
June, 1885 - December 1, 1915
Service Number: 46530
Unit: Canadian Infantry (Quebec Regiment, Royal Highlanders of Canada -- The Black Watch), Canadian Expeditionary Force (CEF)
Division: 13th Battalion, 3rd Brigade, 1st Canadian Division
Commemorated on Page 31 of the First World War Book of Remembrance.
Military Service Records:
When a recruit signed up for the Canadian Expeditionary Force in WW I he filled in an attestation paper that indicated his willingness to serve in the military and provided such information as date of birth, next of kin, height, weight, complexion, occupation, etc. As such these papers are of genealogical importance. The links below are to a scanned copy of the attestation papers of George Pass completed on 28 September, 1914, in Valcartier, Quebec when he was inducted into the Nova Scotia Battalion of the Canadian Expeditionary Force until his death in action on 1 December, 1915 in Belgium. During his service he received a gunshot wound to his right hand on 4 July 1915 and was hospitalized in Rouen, France. He returned to service on 24 July 1915 and had returned to the field with the 13th Battalion 7 August, 1915.
Date of Enlistment:
September 28, 1914, Valcartier, Quebec, Canada
Private George Venables Pass was the son of John Cockburn "Jack" Pass and Elizabeth Ann "Betsy Ann" Coburn , Harvey Station, York Co., NB. George Venables Pass was Born 16 Jun 1880, Harvey, and died 1 Dec 1915, WWI, Flanders. However, in his attestation papers George Pass lists his birth date as June 1885. At the time of enlistment George Pass was married to Rose Pass at Box 237, New Glasgow, Nova Scotia. After his death she had remarried to William Brown by September 1918 when she was living at 3 Hayward St., Salem, Mass, USA.
La Plus Douve Farm Cemetery, Belgium
La Plus Douve Farm Cemetery is located 10.5 Km south of Ieper town centre on a road leading from the Rijselseweg N365, which connects Ieper to Wijtschate and on to Armentieres.
From Ieper town centre the Rijselsestraat runs from the market square, through the Lille Gate (Rijselpoort) and directly over the crossroads with the Ieper ring road. The road name then changes to the Rijselseweg.
On reaching the town of Mesen the first right hand turning leads onto the Niewkerkestraat (N314). 2 Km along the Nieuwkerkestraat lies the left hand turning onto Plus Douve. La Plus Douve Farm Cemetery lies 600 metres along Plus Douve, on the right hand side of the track. Visitors should note an 80 metre grassed access path which is unsuitable for vehicles.
CASUALTY DETAILS: UK 101; Canada 88; Australia 86; New Zealand 61; Germany 9 Total Burials: 345
GPS Coordinates: Latitude: 50.75293 Longitude: 2.86468
I. A. 18.
La Petite Douve Raid, November, 1915.
In the valley of the river Douve, north of Ploegsteert Wood, were two farms. La Petite Douve was the object of a successful raid by the 7th Canadian Infantry Battalion in November 1915 and La Plus Douve, which was generally within the Allied lines, was used at times as a battalion headquarters. This farm was also known as Ration Farm as battalion transport could approach it by night with rations. The cemetery was started by the 48th (South Midland) Division in April 1915 and was in use until May 1918, when the area was taken by the Germans.
Canadian Corps Front line in December, 1915. Private George Pass served in the 13th Canadian Infantry Battalion, part of the 3rd Canadian Infantry Brigade, which was positioned sw of Messines when he was killed.
13th Batallion - The Black Watch:
The Royal Highlanders of Canada gave birth to three Black Watch Battalions during the war. By the end of August, the regiment numbered over 1,000 men. As the numbers grew, volunteers from the Royal Highlanders were incorporated into the 13th Battalion. Over 60% of the initial recruits were of British origin. A large percentage were former British soldiers who had relocated to Canada at the turn of the century. While still in Canada, the 13th Battalion was placed in the 3rd Brigade of the 1st Division along with the 14th, 15th, and 16th battalions.
In October of 1914, the 1st Division departed for Great Britain. The Division remained in Great Britain for additional training until February 10th, 1915. On February 16, 1915, the unit departed for France. After spending time in France, in April of 1915, the battalion was used to reinforce British and Canadian lines in Ypres sector. The April 1915 battle for Ypres was the site of the first use of poison gas during the war. Despite the surprise of the German attack and their use of gas, the Canadian forces were able to stabilize their lines and fall back in good order to more defensible positions.
During its first actions of the war, the 13th Battalion lost 120 officers and 454 other ranks. The unit also won its first Victoria Cross (England's highest military honor) and the first VC for the Canadian Expeditionary Force (CEF). In his reports on the action, Sir John French was recorded as saying, "the bearing and conduct of the splendid Canadian troops averted a serious disaster."
During the remainder of 1915 and 1916, the 13th Battalion fought at battles in numerous locations including Festubert, Messines, Bailleul, Givenchy, Flanders, and the Somme.
Veterans Affairs Canada
In memory of
ALFRED STEPHEN HUNTER
Service Number: 108298
September 28, 1894 - June 2, 1916
Undated photograph of Pte. Alfred S. Hunter taken between time of enlistment 10 April 1915 and his death 2 June 1916. Source: Tim Patterson, 7 Aug 2008 from the Robison Family photograph collections at Campburn Farm, Harvey Station, York County, New Brunswick.
Image was colorized by Tim Patterson Nov 2020.
Service Number: 108298
Unit: *1st Canadian Mounted Rifles (Saskatchewan Regiment), Canadian Expeditionary Force (CEF)
*Listed as 3rd Canadian Mounted rifles in obituary.
Division: 8th Infantry Brigade, 3rd Canadian Division
Commemorated on Page 107 of the First World War Book of Remembrance.
Military Service Records:
When a recruit signed up for the Canadian Expeditionary Force in WW I he filled in an attestation paper that indicated his willingness to serve in the military and provided such information as date of birth, next of kin, height, weight, complexion, occupation, etc. As such these papers are of genealogical importance. The links below are to a scanned copy of the attestion papers of Alfred Hunter completed on 10 April 1915, in Medicine Hat, Alberta.
Date of Enlistment:
April 10. 1915, Medicine Hat, Alberta, Canada
Copied from newspaper obituary - 1916:
Harvey Station, N.B., June 21 -- Private Alfred S. Hunter, son of Mr Jas. A. Hunter, of Harvey Station, has been killed in action according to an official telegram received here last night by the father of the gallant soldier. He was a member of the 3rd Mounted Rifles, acting as infantry, having enlisted in that unit in the West.
Private Hunter was a young man of sterling habits, a graduate of the Provincial Normal School at Fredericton and went West in 1913, having secured a first-class teacher's license. He taught school in the West for about a year and enlisted for active service soon after the outbreak of the war. He was 22 years of age and is the first Harvey Station man to fall in the world war. Much sympathy is expressed for the bereaved family whose only surviving son is also in khaki, Private Charles W. Hunter being a member of the 104th Battalion at Sussex. Coun. S. B. Hunter of Harvey Station is an uncle of Private Hunter.
No known grave.
Commemorated on the MENIN GATE (YPRES) MEMORIAL, Belgium.
The Menin Gate Memorial is situated at the eastern side of the town of Ypres (now Ieper) in the Province of West Flanders, on the road to Menin and Courtrai. It bears the names of 55,000 men who were lost without trace during the defence of the Ypres Salient in the First World War.
Designed by Sir Reginald Blomfield and erected by the Imperial (now Commonwealth) War Graves Commission, it consists of a "Hall of Memory", 36.6 metres long by 20.1 metres wide. In the centre are broad staircases leading to the ramparts which overlook the moat, and to pillared loggias which run the whole length of the structure. On the inner walls of the Hall, on the side of the staircases and on the walls of the loggias, panels of Portland stone bear the names of the dead, inscribed by regiment and corps.
Carved in stone above the central arch are the words:
TO THE ARMIES OF THE BRITISH EMPIRE WHO STOOD HERE FROM 1914 TO 1918 AND TO THOSE OF THEIR DEAD WHO HAVE NO KNOWN GRAVE.
Over the two staircases leading from the main Hall is the inscription:
HERE ARE RECORDED NAMES OF OFFICERS AND MEN WHO FELL IN YPRES SALIENT BUT TO WHOM THE FORTUNE OF WAR DENIED THE KNOWN AND HONOURED BURIAL GIVEN TO THEIR COMRADES IN DEATH.
The dead are remembered to this day in a simple ceremony that takes place every evening at 8:00 p.m. All traffic through the gateway in either direction is halted, and two buglers (on special occasions four) move to the centre of the Hall and sound the Last Post. Two silver trumpets for use in the ceremony are a gift to the Ypres Last Post Committee by an officer of the Royal Canadian Artillery, who served with the 10th Battery, of St. Catharines, Ontario, in Ypres in April 1915.
Panel 30 and 32.
Menin Gate Plan